Monday, September 23, 2013

Homeschooling for Dummies: Introducing my New Child

I'm not sure if I qualify as a dummy, since I am a teacher, but BOY, it is scary to attempt this! Many have asked, "What is Isabel going to do for school?"

I am homeschooling. (Oh my God! Did I just say that out loud?)

I have met with the teacher and Isabel is ahead of pace in reading/writing/math. We are pretty confident that we can continue that pace. Also, we need to address social studies and science...

This year in third grade social studies, they need to cover maps. Maps!?! Check!


In science, I am following the curriculum for the state of Florida. The Scientific Method, Matter, and Energy.

Here is a peek at the standards. I kept it realllllly small so you wont be freaked out by the craziness of this list:

 

The big issue... Cursive! 

Isabel has dug in her heels and refused!

I even went to Millers School Supplies and bought some awesome workbooks!!!





No Go...


Sooooo... On to my other child.

Some of you may know, but I will also have an awesome helper on our trips this year. Cici!



Cici has agreed to take off her eighth grade year and accompany us around the world. We are really excited to have her along! We were concerned about Isabel being lonely. Also, sometimes, Chris and I may actually want a couple minutes to have a quiet dinner together (I am imagining a lovely cafe downstairs in Paris)


While she is with us she will be attending Florida Virtual School, my old employer. She will take the full course load for eighth grade and be ready for high school come August.


3 comments:

  1. You're gonna have to get "creative" with the cursive thing (and you know it).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, looks like you got everything covered! So cool that you have a helper going with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Isabel... Down with cursive.

    ReplyDelete