Sunday, December 1, 2013

Lake House: Week 1

We have arrived home. About 30 minutes ago. I realize I am behind on the blog, so I am working on catch-up this week.

After we left Salem the day after Halloween, we had rented a house in central Massachusetts. It is called The Lake House and it is about 15 minutes west of Worcester. We chose this location because:
1. It is beautiful
2. It is central to New England
3. So we weren't in a hotel long term.

We got there on time and were given a tour by the owner of the place. We dragged in our luggage and then Chris and I hit the grocery store.

It was quite funny how "tourist" must scream from us, because the locals and employees were quick to help up find everything, including signing up for the store's discount card.

We needed to stock the kitchen and I decided to do the majority of shopping that day. I think that I have never had a grocery bill so high! Usually I buy for 1 week, not 3. Also, I have a lot of staples and condiments already at home. The Lake House had a lot of them available, but I still needed to buy what I cook with. It was A LOT. Chris was a little afraid of the cart being so full!



First things first.... LOBSTER!!!!







The next day we were kind of stuck because New England goes into a mini-vacation between the leaves changing and the snow coming. They call it "stick season" and many businesses close for the Winter.

The owners of our home also owned a place called Davis' Farmland and Maze. We decided to head to the maze to check it out.

Cici had a plan! She had read/watched something about maintaining a right turn only course. This didn't work. I explained to her that they had hired a maze designer and he probably knew this trick. Regardless, we worked on the maze for an hour and then the kids gave up... sigh.









Isabel insisted that the ONLY reason that we were in Massachusetts was for apple picking. It was hard to find a orchard still open this late in the season, but my cousin made a phone call and got us into George Hill Orchards. It was amazing. There was a large farm full of every type of apple know to man (except Fuji and Granny Smith). We picked a half bushel of apples and darn if those kids didn't eat a million apples over the next few days. I felt like a good mother for a bit with all of that healthiness!!!







The beginnings of Apple Butter!!!




We had caught the leaves in Pennsylvania and they were beautiful! In Massachusetts, we were there only for the very end. I couldn't resist a photo shoot with the girls at this beautiful library near the house.





My Father, who attended Worcester Polytechnic Institute, insisted that I MUST see the Higgins Armory Museum in Worcester. The museum is scheduled to close with the New Year due to a lack of endowment. We grudgingly attended and LOVED IT!!!



Just a funny moment...

Cici really, really wanted a glass bottle of Coke, because "it tastes better."

After received said bottle, she reached the problem that she could not OPEN the bottle cap. I refused to help her and she struggled for 15 minutes to figure out how to open it. She finally reached SUCCESS!!!



I will be continuing the adventures of New England in later blogs. I think I covered the first week... I will post again in 2 days. New England continued!!!!!.....


No comments:

Post a Comment