Monday, November 11, 2013

Leg 7: New York, New York!!!

I am currently languishing in Massachusetts and attempting to do very little, so I am extremely apologetic about the delay in blogging. Today, I am going to blog about our stop in NYC. We were there October 26-30.

We arrived through the south end of Manhattan Island. This was my first time driving in NYC was very intimidated. Were you aware that is costs $13!!! to enter the city? I was still excited to see the Holland Tunnel and enter through it. It was actually quite disorienting to drive through. Everything looks the same and it quickly hypnotizes you.



Once we emerged out of the tunnel, it was a short distance to our hotel. We stayed at the Hampton Inn Seaport. It is located at the South Street Sea Port, which was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy last year. It was really nice to wander through the rebuilt area that is about to open up. There was about 10-20% of the shops open, but it was so sparkly and new. I was very happy with the location.


Before


After!


When I picked my hotel, I was motivated by proximity to Chinatown. I love Chinatown. I love the food, the shops, the food, the markets, and the food. Chinatown was only 5 blocks away from our hotel. Heaven.



Out first trip out was actually to... Chinatown! I had to satiate my duck needs. Peking... mmmm... Cici obliged me by looking disgustingly at my plate and reminding me of her pet duck on a 1-2 minute basis. It was delicious.



We wanted to take this trip slow, since we will be back for Thanksgiving. We had a few things on the schedule. One priority for me was shopping. I needed clothes. My jeans are too big and I don't have any pretty winter clothes.

Cici and I headed to midtown to hit up the big Lane Bryant. It was a bit of a mess, since we couldn't find my store and her One Direction (boy band) store was closed. A CATASTROPHE!

Eventually after walking around for a while, we found my clothing store and I STOCKED UP. It was awesome to have access to everything that the store makes. I bought 4 pairs of jeans, a few sweaters, and some other items. I look very city chic!


We then decided to attempt the Statue of Liberty. Last year, when Chris, Isabel, and I went to NYC, the Statue of Liberty was closed after the hurricane. We took the Staten Island Ferry across the river to view it with Isabel, but she and Cici wanted to go to the island this time.

Now, as a Floridian, I am not sure if you are aware, but there are limited tickets available to climb the statue. According the park employees, there are only 240 tickets available per day and they are sold out months in advanced. Bummer.

We still decided to go. It was somewhat a mistake. The line to get onto the ferry took over an hour to get on. Then, once we were there, we couldn't go up into the pedestal or statue.

Then we had to get back on the ferry, which took over a half hour.

I have been to the statue of Liberty three times now, and not once have I had the patience to go to Ellis Island. Now I know why. The lines are ridiculous!











After a few meals in Chinatown, the rest of the family was moaning about wanting something other than Chinese (WHY?!?), so we hit up Little Italy and had some pasta.

We also went to Soho and partook of some Ukrainian food.

Our final night we booked a Broadway show. I had told the girls we were going, but not where or which show. I kept the secret until we pulled up in the taxi.

Annie!!!!

We were able to secure 4th row seats and had a wonderful view! Isabel really loved the kids singing and dancing. Cici and I were really impressed with the Palace Theater, which is beautiful!

I don't know what makes me cry at Broadway shows, but this one only made me cry twice. Last year, I took Isabel to her first show, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and cried three times. I guess I am making progress...

At one point in the show, when Annie starts singing "The Sun Will Come Up," Isabel immediately looked at me in amazement and whispered "Mommy! They are singing your song!!!" Isabel knew the song because I sing it to her all the time when she is upset, but had no idea that it came from Annie. It was a wonderful moment.












One day, I somehow convinced Chris to take Isabel to Toys R Us, Times Square, while Sierra and I went shopping for trinkets in Chinatown. Sierra and I had a ball. We shopped for chop sticks, jade figurines, and other little things. I decided to splurge on a ring for myself.

My ring!


All the loot we collected in Chinatown


I treated Sean(my brother) and myself to a cleaver. For cooking. I swear.





During this trip, Cici has been collecting bracelets at each stop. I decided as a special treat to visit Tiffany's and Co. and purchase small bracelets for the girls. I was actually quite impressed that there was a selection of silver bracelets that didn't cost and arm and a leg. I bought each girl a bracelet and warned them "to make sure you know this is your standard for jewelry for future love interests." LOL.


Doing Laundry for the fam...

Minions!

Is it a beet? A radish? Who knows...?

Sierra was unimpressed by the subway. She is a taxi girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment