Sunday, May 4, 2014

Recipe Edition: Kale grows better when I'm overseas

So I came back home on Monday. I still need to blog my visit to London and Ireland, but in the meantime...

Before we left on the Europe trip, we planed out front flower bed. I threw in a couple plants, such as basil, cilantro, and a couple other herbs. I also threw some seeds into the bed. Kale, arugula, and green onions.

My husband complained to me. He said they wouldn't grow and I was wasting my time. I explained that the seeds are cheap, lets just see.

Well... I was correct! We came home to a greatly overgrown flower bed. Lots and lots of kale!


Not many people eat kale. If they do eat kale, it is usually kale chips. I am not knocking kale chips, but that is cheating! Bake something until they are crispy, and add salt, and many things taste great. I will be making some soon.

I have a specific recipe that I use kale in. It was a riff off of the Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana, but definitely has evolved into it's own thing.

I decided to make it tonight and share my recipe for anyone interested...

Chicken Kale Soup

6 slices bacon
1 onion diced
3 stalks of celery with tops, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
3 chicken breasts, defrosted, and cut into 1 inch cubes
8 cups of water
4 Knorr's chicken bullion cubes
1 bunch of kale, ripped into mouth size pieces, rib removed
1 cup whipping cream
3 Tbsp butter
salt
pepper


1. Cut bacon into 1 inch strips.
2. Heat 8 quart pot on med-high heat.
3. cook bacon until browned.











4. Remove bacon from pot.
5. In remaining grease, cook onion for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.












6. Add carrots, continue cooking for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.











7. Add celery and tops, continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring frequently.













8. Add chicken, continue cooking and stirring for 5 minutes, until chicken is cooked.




















9. Add water and bullion cubes. Stir together.











10. Wait for water to come to a boil.
11. Add Kale and cover pot.













12. In 10-20 minutes, uncover pot and add cream.











13. Let come to a simmer.
14. Add butter. Reduce heat to low.
15. Serve with reserved bacon on top.












Optional additions:
Chick peas (canned)
Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment