Wednesday, April 16, 2014

French Alps, Dijon, and Reims: Crepes, Champagne, and Skiing!

We left Parma, Italy with a plan. We left early. We had hours to get to Milan for our train. Milan was only 1.5 hours away. No problems, right? Until you hit a traffic jam of epic proportions. The traffic slowed. The traffic stopped. I struggled with my manual transmission. First gear, second gear, clutch, clutch. Stop.

As we waited for whatever was happening ahead to clear up, I repeated my mantra to the girls. “ We don’t get angry at traffic. It probably means someone got into an accident and we want them to be OK. Think about them, not our inconvenience.”

Well, after sitting still for an hour. Getting out of the car. Discussing our food stores (Sierra often hoards Nutella somewhere…) We finally began moving again. Slowly.




My mantra of staying calm started to fray. The probability of us catching our train to Geneva was getting more and more out of site. I finally make it to the train station at Milan and have NO IDEA where to drop off my rental car. There are no signs. Nothing. Circles and circles around the train station. Probably breaking tons of traffic laws. First gear, second gear, first gear, clutch.

After two phone calls, I finally get to the teeny tiny garage and drop off the car. No extra charges. Score!

We missed our train. I cry at the ticket counter. I am frustrated. We had to meet people in Geneva. Nothing I can do for four more hours. The emails begin.

I email the ski-clothing rental guy. He offers to meet us at the train station when we get in at 10:00!!! He says he will just have dinner there tonight. How amazingly sweet.

I email the chalet. They agree to meet us when we get there. Score! Apparently we aren’t going to be sleeping in the car tonight (although, the idea kinda excited the girls)!

We drag all of our bags up to the American Steakhouse on the top floor of the train station and enjoy a bottle of wine and some steak, overlooking the rails.




After a 4 hour journey on the train to Geneva, we saw beautiful mountains and valleys. We watched the mountains, as they began showing caps of snow. Vineyards! Tons of terraced vineyards. Just like in the movies. The sun set during our train ride and we arrived in Geneva, Switzerland.








We ran outside and immediately found our clothing rental people. We stripped in the streets and tried on our ski clothes. The people of Geneva goggled their eyes at us and some laughed, watching us try on ski pants and jackets. We somehow stuffed all of the gear into our suitcases and left to find our rental car.

Apparently Geneva is a city like Kansas City. Half in Switzerland, half in France. We had to go through two immigrations in the same airport. The French side waved us through without any concern…lol.

I get to the rental counter, about 12 hours later than my reservation. They slightly scold me, but assure me they still have a minivan to rent. RELIEF!

Until…I get to the garage and spy my behemoth of a van. It is an enormous Mercedes 8 passenger van. It has seen better days and shows the scars of bad turns and tiny alleyways. Scary!

The associate with the rental company just happened to be walking through the garage as I discovered my vehicle and I protest! It is too big!




Her reply was less than appeasing. She replied that it WAS the car I requested and anything else they had would cost even more ( I had already upgraded!). Due to our lateness to the chalet, we took the van and headed into the darkness of the City of Geneva.

I actually did really well getting through the city and onto the Interstate. Once off the Interstate I began the ascent to Morzine, France. Like all mountain communities, the journey to get there is scary and precarious. There are switchbacks and crazy drivers. We went up and up and up. The cities shone below us. Getting tinier and tinier. It was scary.

Finally, around midnight, we arrive at the chalet. We were warmly greeted by our chalet hosts, Joel and Siobhan.  They even had dinner ready for us!!! The kids looked at the food with sleepy eyes and went to bed. Chris and I ate a little and also hit the sack.



The next 5 days consisted of the girls learning how to ski. I say the girls, because, Chris and I quit after the first day. It killed our legs. I was pretty sure I was going to die. We decided, “This doesn’t feel like vacation to us” and decided to keep the girls in lessons and enjoy hot wine and crepes at the restaurant at the bottom of the hill.











We really enjoyed our time in Morzine, which also included a quick bus ride to Avoriaz for their water park. It was a unique experience and very enjoyable.






After we were done skiing, I planned for us to head to Dijon, France. Just for one night. We drove through the French countryside to Dijon. It took about three hours. Dijon was a cute town with a lovely Notre Dame and Ducal Palace. In Dijon they have a Chouette Walk, which is a trail of little golden owls on the sidewalks. The trail brings you through all of the important sites in Dijon, including the golden owl on the Notre Dame. We walked through the city and enjoyed the ancient sites.








That evening, Chris and I headed out to dinner by ourselves. We had some drinks at a local café and then were able to walk into a recommended restaurant. The food was pretty divine.



The table's name!




Our last stop this week was one night in Reims, France. This is the place where they held the coronations of the monarchs of France.  Reims is pronounces like “Rance”, which rhymes with France. I wanted to go an see their Notre Dame too. It was gorgeous! We HAD to stop in Epernay for the Champagne district. We decided to visit Moet and Chandon because of some family connections to the company in the past. We had to do the cellar tour and tasting!





















Notre Dame in Reims






We have been to many, many UNESCO heritage sites at this point this year. I always tease the girls that "they may NOT touch the UNESCO Heritage Sites!" They always pretend to touch them anyways to mess with me! This time, we found the plaque for the UNESCO assignment and they were SOOOOO excited to touch the sign!













Isabel has learned all about Cathedrals at this point. She loves to point out the flying buttresses. She has a favorite headless saint that appears on the entrances of these churches. We had to Wikipedia his story! ‘


Out next stop is Paris. We have an apartment in the city center, so we are very excited about the location. I know we have lots of stairs ahead of us, but I hope they aren’t too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment