Monday, February 10, 2014

Halong Bay: A Private Ship of our Own???!!!

We boarded our ship on February 3, and that was an ordeal in itself. I’m not sure if I mentioned it in the other blog, but my taxi cab driver parked us on the other end of the HUGE mall and NO ONE knew where cruise passengers were supposed to go. Ah, yes… I did mention it.

We boarded the ship, the Holland America Volendam, at approximately 2:00 p.m. and went straight to our room to check it out. It isn’t bad! I was expecting it to be very cramped, with 4 people in an inside stateroom, but Cici has her own full size bed and Isabel is on the bunk. Chris and I have the King bed (two twins combined). The bathroom is manageable and the shower has pressure.

I tried to attempt a room upgrade and was “put on the list,” but alas! There is nothing available with a balcony. I will persevere! LOL!

I was somewhat… irritated, that I had to board so early. Our ship didn’t leave Hong Kong until 11:30 in the evening. Some passengers tell me, they checked in and then went back into Hong Kong. I guess it didn’t matter in the end.

We WERE treated to a laser light show in Hong Kong Harbor. I guess I am extremely spoiled living in Orlando, since the laser show was lackluster. I was impressed with the animated lights on the buildings. Why can’t we do that to our buildings in Orlando? It would be AWESOME!!!

Hong Kong at night


We aquainted ourselves with the Kid’s Club and Teen Lounge. Isabel lucked out with about a half dozen kids to play with in kids club. It is personalized enough to appeal to her. Poor Cici… NONE of the teenagers have shown up in the teen lounge. There are supposed to be 7 teenagers on board. I have even accosted two of them, trying to get them to hang out with Cici. Nope! She is stuck reading and hanging out with me J

The next day we has a “sea day.” I don’t particularly like sea days, because I want to be SEEING things, not relaxing. I don’t relax well on cruise ships. This one is easier, since there is nothing to do, and the average age of traveler is 70.

Had to try out our waterproof camera in the pool!





We DID meet this other couple, with an 8 year-old daughter, who are showing the pants off our grieftrip.com. They have traveled from London to Hong Kong overland! That means they took the Trans-Siberian Railway. I was very impressed. They are trying to figure out a way to North America without airfare currently. I suggested an Alaska cruise. www.etholle.com  downtoearthtraveller.wordpress.com


Out first destination was Halong Bay, Vietnam. This is a city near the northern parts of Vietnam. It is a Unesco Heritage site, due to it’s famous rock formations in the large harbor/gulf/bay. The nearest city is Hanoi. We decided to spend the day touring Halong instead of the city of Halong.

I lucked out this trip by booking independently of the cruise. I don’t like booking through cruises because the price is sooooo high! Apparently, I booked a private cruise through Halong Bay. We were the ONLY people on the boat, with a Captain, Cook, Skipper, and English translator/guide. I am NOT joking when I say this was very inexpensive. Less than a day at Disney, for sure!

At the dock

Our own private junk!

Isabel riding the seas

Adorable

Beautiful


We were met at the port and a stranger approached us. MANY strangers approached us. I ignored them. Until…one showed me a cell phone with my name in an email. MY GUIDE!

He hired a taxi for us and led the taxi by his motorbike to the Halong Cruise Departure area. The ride was our first sample of Vietnam, and we were impressed by the obvious signs of being a communist country. It takes you back a bit, being American, to SEE it!

We boarded our boat and headed out!

Our first stop was an amazing cave system. I think it was on Cat Ba Island, but I can’t be sure, since not a single sign was in English. My research says Cat Ba, but my guide didn’t sound like he was saying that.

The caves were outrageous! I have never been in caves before (does Tom Sawyer’s Island at Magic Kingdom count?) and asked Chris is they were similar to out west in America. He agreed they were, but I can’t imagine this anywhere else!

The line up into the cave. Since it is Tet, or Vietnamese Lunar New Year, it was a bit busy

"Isabel! Stop touching the Heritage Site!!!"



Lucky money in the spring in the cave





Afterwards, we got back on the boat and went through a passageway of islands.Then the guide asked if we wanted to stop at the fishing village. He explained that it was where we can get fish and shellfish for lunch. I thought that lunch was included, but he seemed to think I needed to buy fish.

The floating market was impressive, with small pens of fish and shellfish. It was small and I feared Isabel being knocked into the water. I picked out 6 large clams, a fish, and 6 crabs. The price quoted….wait for it….$240 US!!!!

I balked! What!?! I tried to explain I would spend approximately $50 US for that in the states, but they continued to insist. My guide said something along the lined of “tourist prices.”

I became angry, but started haggling at $60US. In the end, they agreed to $100 US, but I still felt jilted!

Then the most traumatic thing in Isabel’s existence happened…They clubbed the fish! She was shocked! Appalled! DISGUSTED! She began to cry and wanted OUT! The fishmongers attempted to console her, but SHE WASN’T having it!

Mollusks

Fishies

One of the poor victims


We re-boarded and headed towards our next stop. I realized that they had set one of the tables for us inside. Lunch was being served!

We sat down and they started bringing food. And bringing food. And bringing food! It was too much for the table. Apparently I DIDN’T need to buy seafood at the floating market. They had too much already! Chris, Cici, and Isabel (who refused to eat at all, due to the clobbered fish) ate very little in my opinion. I threatened them that they WOULD SIT AND PRETEND to eat, while I put a dent in everything. They obeyed my decree and we made our attempt to show our appreciation.

Too full!


We requested to swim on the tour, so they brought us to an island with a public beach. Isabel got all into it, being a Florida kid. She was making sand structures and enjoying herself. It was very funny watching the other parents trying to nudge their kids into playing in the water and sand with Isabel. The kids looked at their parents like they were CRAZY! Apparently it is winter in this area (It is at the lowest, 75 degrees…) and the kids were dressed in parkas. A few of the kids warmed up and dipped their toes. Cici only dipped her toes as well.






Afterwards, we headed back to shore. We spend approximately 4 hours on the cruise. Afterwards, we were DYING to try Pho in Vietnam. Pho is a beef broth soup with beef slices and noodles. You can choose the herbs and sauces you want to add after it is served. The girls were so excited!

Our guide sent us to a restaurant across the street and we partook. I should say, the girls ate, and ate, ate. They each had TWO bowls! The total bill, with 4 bottled waters…$10US!!! I love the prices here!



We hit the nearby market for the famous pearls of Halong and stocked up on tourist tchotchkes. Then we WALKED back to the ship. Only 10 minutes walking. The breeze was lovely and the ship was a sore site. We were exhausted and HAD to have a nap before dinner.




I was super impressed with Halong Bay and it’s beauty. The surrounding town and area seemed small, but the natural beauty of the area makes it worth a visit for anyone who is in this area.


Next stop: Hoi An, Vietnam





No comments:

Post a Comment